Thursday, February 19, 2015

Picture, Perfect, February

This 2015 February is making a lot of national news. 

The serious:  the northeastern U.S. is getting a rash of cold and snow and ice that is taking lives, causing misery, and destroying private and public property.

The serious with a funny twist:  the “viral” video of our President trying his darndest to pronounce February and remind young and old (but mostly the young) that the Affordable Care Act sign-up deadline has a February date attached to it.

And for me?  I repeat myself; gladly:  February is this Gulf Coastie’s favorite month of the year. 

If you’d been in my neck of the woods yesterday, walking beside me, along the trails of Brazos Bend State Park, you too could have celebrated a picture-perfect February day.  Full-ball sun with temperatures in the 60’s and some over-fifty bird species spotted in two hours. 

Today?  Repeat of yesterday.  And so I thought I’d share a few photos from a last-week trip to the Texas City Dike.  I kind of think that the photos say it all:

Picture, Perfect, February!

(Please "click-on" photos for full-screen viewing of the pictures)

This Brown Pelican, in perfect winter sunshine, is beginning to show beautiful springtime plumage:




I never grow tired of watching a day-in-the-life of Laughing Gulls.  Ah, but when they drink from the pool of living water, I feel as if I'm watching a holy moment:



Is that Long-billed Curlew popping out of green snow?  No, just the common green clover of a February Texas-Gulf-Coast day:




Here's to celebrating a Picture, Perfect, February Day!

1 comment:

  1. It's impossible to say which one I like best, because birds are so beautiful! But-t-t-t-t I am going to say that the first laughing gull photo with the neck bent and the beak in the water is so-o-o-o-o special! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I no longer accept Anonymous Comments. Please use your Google account to sign in and leave a comment.