Monday, July 16, 2012

"Got Milk?" Yes, says this Whistling-Duck

While shooting photos of the Yellow-crowned Night-Herons at Brazos Bend State Park, I had the distinct feeling that I was being watched.  And, in fact, I was.  This Black-bellied Whistling-Duck seemed to be taking it all in. Whether mostly curious or somewhat envious of the paparazzi-like attention I was giving the night-herons, I couldn’t decide.   

But when I turned to look at this whistling-duck, the opaque off-white color of his bill tip seemed to stand out more than usual.  It reminded me of those glossy magazine “Got Milk?” commercials.  You know the ones--those full page pictures of some famous person with a milk mustache painted on their upper lip.


I’ve often wondered why this bodacious duck, named for his black belly (just peeking out of the lower left side of this picture), didn’t warrant a name that emphasized its pink legs or bright orange bill or white-ringed eyes that give it that look of a waterfowl’s version of a rock star; or maybe a Muppet.  Either way, they are great fun to photograph and often ready and willing to pose for the camera.
No Photoshop editing required for this photo's star to sport a milk mustache.  Don’t you think this whistler warrants a “Got milk?” advertising gig?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I no longer accept Anonymous Comments. Please use your Google account to sign in and leave a comment.