Friday, November 22, 2013

The Wooded Ones Play Hide-and-Seek

I recently discovered a few theme-oriented blog sites that I especially like.  I found these sites on my information hunt regarding greyhound dogs.  My greyhound adventure is another day’s story, as that story is still in work.  But some of these blogs have become daily reads for me; simply stated, I enjoy reading them and looking at the photos of these soulful dogs. 

Some of these blogs have recurring weekly posts, titled:  Wordless Wednesday’s.  These Wednesday blog posts express their story visually, no words required.  And as you would guess, the photos usually involve greyhounds.  I look at the photos; they become my day’s smile.
These well-done blogs nudge me to contemplate “Chasing Flight” as a recurring blog post title; picture-only posts that show my continued attempt at catching the large feathered-ones in flight. These photos might make for your day’s laugh.

But to date, it is a place, rather than a theme, that you could accuse me of repeating:  my amazing backyard, better known as Brazos Bend State Park.  
I am very familiar with the trails of Brazos Bend; I need no map.  But some twenty years of regular visits and I still do not know this park.  I’m not sure a lifetime in one place could give me right to say I know any corner of Mother Nature’s queendom.  (I find it fascinating that kingdom is a word but queendom is not; come on young women of today’s world, you have work to do!  Oops, back to my story.)
The Brazos Bend oxbow habitats are where my best photos are shot; the large feathered ones mostly sit still.  But it is the woods where I love to walk; to watch; to listen. 

This photo shows the area I privately call Warbler Woods; it is my reliable spot for catching glimpses of warblers:
 

True to its name, I sighted and photographed a Yellow Warbler this November day.  And true to this complex wooded habitat, and the hide-and-seek skills of wood-loving warblers, all of my Yellow Warbler photos landed in the electronic trash can.

When I do catch a clear-view peek within Warbler Woods, it is usually at distance, as with this Blue-gray Gnatcatcher:
 

But on occasion I get lucky, and a few close-range photos come home with me.
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher:


 
 

Tufted Titmouse:

 
 
 
 
 
Yellow-rumped Warbler:
 
 


These little ones may be mostly grey; mostly brown; and definitely not rare finds to many locales.  But watching them in their wooded habitat always makes for a special day. 
How I love this corner of Mother Nature’s queendom.  She, and they, are worth playing hide-and-seek.

1 comment:

  1. This closeup of the hyperactive Gnatcatcher is a great shot. Thanks for the posting. RC

    ReplyDelete

I no longer accept Anonymous Comments. Please use your Google account to sign in and leave a comment.